Monday, 23 January 2012

Sketchbook Peeks - Lucinda Smith


I started drawing as an obsession in my early teens, in the early 80s when 'being arty' was v trendy and I also made a lot of (bizarre) clothes.  From school, I went on to Foundation at Norwich, followed by Design Crafts at Epsom School of Art and Design, which was predominantly jewellery based making.  I was taught by a range of talented people such as Charlotte De Syllas, Amanda Bright, Jane Adam, as well as a lot of exciting visiting lecturers - of course none of us were able to appreciate how lucky we were to be able to play and experiment and express ourselves in such a great environment.  


I kept sketchbooks full of my clothing designs and drawings of the surrounding area when I was at school, and developed into using them for interesting found objects, doodles, experiments and ramblings after a tutor at Norwich told me that a good sketchbook is one that doesn't close cos its full of random stuff.  I have continued to use (and spread) that philosophy, and always had travel journals crammed with bus tickets, leaflets, and doodles.

I think sketching is perhaps too polite a word for me.  I use sketchbooks as part of the creative process all the time - sometimes sitting and actually drawing something, more often than not, sloshing paint around, and glueing things in.


New sketchbooks don't stay that way for long - if I have nothing else planned, there's always a coat of gesso to go on the cover in preparation for something else (sometimes years later), or I might have some spare paint on my pallet that I'll use as background on a few pages.  Some of my books weren't new in the first place, as I altered them from something else.


I am currently obsessed with drawing faces, and to a lesser extent, figures.  This is a great source of inspiration as there is always a subject available, even if its in the mirror, and drawing people who are unaware of you means that there isn't time to get bogged down with detail.  

I give little thought to the creative process and just 'do', and I keep on doing until I am satisfied with what I've got.  As a result, I always have a number of books on the go at any one time, with some ideas developing over years.  I continue to aspire to the sketchbook which will never shut.



That philosophy has inevitably brought colour and texture into my work - I remember struggling with colour when I was younger, which seems ridiculous now.

I love using gesso in my work - it is so versatile, and I couldn't do without acrylic paint or Derwent Inktense blocks (bit of shameless local promotion there).  I also agree with Kirsty Allsop that free machine embroidery in the crack cocaine of the craft world, and, to my husbands despair, I'm pretty in to chopping up and using rubbish -milk cartons, telephone wire and the like. 

I don't think I have a favourite book, and my favourite page is usually the one I'm working on at the time.

Thanks Lucinda for taking part in Sketchbook Peeks. If you want to find a little bit more about Lucinda and see more of her work, check out these links: Etsy shop, Facebook Page, Folksy shop, or follow her on Twitter here.  


1 comment:

  1. i love lucinda's work! i've just bought a sketchbook hoping the portait on the cover will inspire my own attempts...

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...