Monday, 18 February 2013

Planning your path



It's always good to have a plan. People who know me well will know that I like to have plan, I like to know what I'm doing and how I'm going to do it, and I think it just makes me feel a little but more in control of things when I have a plan. Now I'm not saying I'm a complete control freak, or that I'm never spontaneous, but I think, especially as far as my busines goes plans work well!

Right back when I was thinking of starting a creative business I attended a couple of local council funded seminars on business planning and I did even write a business plan which I still have. It's very different to what I'm actually doing now, but looking back at when I wrote it I knew where I wanted to go and the mere act of writing it down helped me to achieve a lot of the goals I had written.

I recently attended an excellent training day courtesy of Design Factory run by Pete Mosley, business mentor, creative life coach and author of Make Your Creativity Pay. The topic of the day was Creative Business Planning, something I needed to revisit now that my mentoring scheme is coming to an end. I dug out my old business plan before the event and realised how out of date it was and how it wasn't really relevant to my business now. And it just so happened that throughout the course of the day we were going to be doing a lot of thinking about formulating a new plan. Sounds very promising.

Throughout the day, guided by Pete, our creative group, explored many issues. We looked at the different areas of our creative and personal lives and rated how well we thought we were doing with each one. This then gave us clear areas on which we knew we had to concentrate and helped us to formulate clear goals and pathways to achieve them. As I mentioned earlier the mere act of writing things down is the first active step on the road to getting things done.

By the end of the day I'd written my two year plan on a timeline, which made it more 'visual' and I now have several new tasks on my list to help me get to where I want to be.

If you ever get the chance to go to one of Pete's training days I'd strongly recommend it. Many of the creatives I know have either read his book or attended one of his events and they all have very good things to say about them. To find out more you can browse Pete's website here or read his blog here  and you can find out more about his programme of training events here

It would be great to hear from anyone else in the process of revisiting their own business plan and to hear about all of your hopes, dreams and aspirations for the future...

1 comment:

  1. A very interesting read Sue. I am in the process of reading Pete's book as much like you I feel I need to get planning! I find if I'm drifting around without a list of exhibitions etc to work towards then that's all I do ...drift around!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...