Friday, 3 January 2014

My Word of The Year


Yesterday I had the good fortune to meet up with a good friend of mine, Gillian Lee Smith, for a catch up, a cup of tea, mince pie and a good old chinwag. It's been a while since I've seen Gillian, I think our paths last crossed at The Art Market at Holmfirth in November, in what was a very busy time for me. Gillian blogs regularly about her work and what's going on in her creative life so I always feel as I'm in touch with her even if I don't see her from one month to the next. But every now and then we always carve out a little time in our diaries for a get together and today was one of those lovely moments.

 I'd already written here in my blog about making the time this year to connect more with my creative friends and acquaintances so this little meet up was timed to perfection. We managed to cram 3.5 hours full of chatter, bouncing ideas, asking each other questions about our own ponderings, into what only seemed like an hour or so as the Ike spent together flew by without us noticing.

I've  actually come away from our chat with a renewed feeling of excitement and enthusiasm for this next part of my own creative journey. One of the things Gillian had suggested to me this week via the blog was the concept of One Word for the Year. She thought it might help me to simplify my goals for the year. It's so easy to try to tackle multiple issues and tasks, writing a mammoth list of things I need to do this year, a habit I'm trying to step away from a bit. So choosing just one word sounded like the perfect solution to recent feelings of being overwhelmed by everything creative.

This process is all about replacing resolutions (which I'm not really into anyway) with JUST ONE WORD, your touchstone or guide for the coming year. I pondered as to which I should choose, after all there are so many words... Choosing one word is meant to help give you clarify and focus rather than attempting to spread yourself too thinly by attempting too many different things. The mor I read the more I liked the sound of this concept. There's a worksheet as part of the task which I'm going to fill in is evening....

I've already chosen my word for the year

PATIENCE

Thanks to Christine Kane for the idea

5 comments:

  1. Yaaay!! Sue I LOVED our meet up yesterday and feel exactly the same way - chatting with someone else helps you put all the thoughts that have been spinning around in you head into some kind of intelligible voice - love the word clarity. Wishing you a fruitful and playful time until we meet up next! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never make resolutions either but have chosen to follow the one word idea. I love your choice of word and may it help you develop creatively and in the everyday too.
    Zoe
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post Sue. I don't make resolutions and don't do really do lists but still feel overwhelmed by everything I think I need to be accomplishing. The concept of a touchstone in this sea of ideas, goals and tasks is one that I shall try and follow.
    Madeline xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My word of the year is 'embrace'-my family, my work, my creativity, my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Suzanne, great work, and all encompassing, but, like mine, something you can apply to lots of things creative wise and personal

      Delete

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...